HOW TO WAKE UP DOGS WHO BITE WHEN SLEEPING
Chewie has a fairly common issue we deal with… He doesn’t like being woken up. If he’s sleeping and you try to pick him up, he will snap and sometimes bite. So his owners need to learn how to wake up dogs who bite when sleeping.
There are many reasons why dogs have this issue. It’s usually found in rescue dogs who had to be on high alert all the time in their previous lives. But there are several other reasons for this as well. The important thing is that we need to allow our dogs to feel relaxed, safe & secure and not feel the need to be in a defensive mode.
If the behavior is severe, you should contact a professional. But, if it’s a mild case – just a mild growl or an occasional slight snap, you might be able to solve it yourself.
Here are tips for mild cases:
1. When he’s sleeping, put a smelly treat in front of his nose before waking him up.
2. If he is happy and calm, you can give him the treat.
3. Then, show him another treat and pick him up or pet him.
- If he lets you do this without a growl, treat again (and always praise too).
- If he growls or snaps, say “no” and remove the treat. Wait a few seconds, show him the treat, and try again.
4. After several days, once he’s doing well, just treat as you pick him up.
Once he’s good at that, just praise should do it. (Probably at least a month out to be safe).
If you are scared of your dog, or afraid he’s going to bite you, please call a professional! We’re here to help!
Contact us for help today!